Monday, October 5, 2015

Day Five: Back to Normal

After a hectic week of party planning and hosting, we are back to our regular routines here. Sunday morning we enjoyed a family photo shoot with the very talented Maggie at Flatrock Falls. I cannot wait to see them! It's the first formal family picture we've had taken since Greenwood, NS when Iain was about a year old so I'd say we were overdue.

The rest of the week involves kids activities (swimming, Cubs, karate, play group etc) and trying to clean and organize a continually crazy household.

The question is, what artistic endeavour can I work on this week?

I know what I was working on the weekend before last. The end of September, I headed out with three other brave souls to beautiful Port Rexton, Trinity Bay to stay in Erin House (highly recommend it if you're in the area and want a gorgeous, roomy spot that sleeps 4 - 6 (two double/ queen beds plus one room with two twins) for a couple of nights. The goal? Craft until you drop.

It was wonderful. Coming home was sooooooo hard.

Our view.
The main living space.
I love this idea and DH and I have a pew already. the wheels are turning...
More view. I couldn't get enough!

We left home on Friday and got there in time for supper at the Dock Marina Restaurant across the bay from our cottage in gorgeous, historic Trinity. If you haven't visited this part of Newfoundland and Labrador yet, you really need too. Beautiful.



We all had a fish dish of some form - fish cakes, cod au gratin (me), fish and chips and a seafood linguine. All tasted delightful and the huge portions resulted in none of us being able to have dessert.


One of my friend's and I went for a walk both mornings. How could I not with places like below to explore?


Back to the crafting. The project I'm working on is due at Christmas. Its recipient might be reading this blog occasionally so this is a peek/tease at what I was doing. I love the colours and the flannel fabric. I'd worked hard the week before piecing the top so that I could work on quilting over the craft retreat weekend.

Stipple quilting. Not perfect but not bad.


We went out for a few hours break on Saturday afternoon and headed over to the lighthouse that overlooks Trinity.


Then for some shopping. Here is the new chocolate shop in Trinity. Wonderful. Some may have come home with me. There might still be some left in the house but only because they were ear marked for presents and I don't eat presents. Yet...



This little gallery by Elizabeth Burry was a craftsperson's dream. So cute with a craft shop and attached studio. You can check out their wares here. I almost bought a gorgeous carved and painted fish there for the boys bathroom and am still considering it. Representatives from the gallery will be at the Glacier Christmas Market and so will I at a Steeped Tea booth for an afternoon and evening so hopefully I will see them there.


We are hoping to make this craft retreat an annual event and I simply cannot wait for the next one. Erin House and the area was wonderful and we are considering that being an annual destination. Luckily, the St. John's MFRC is planning a day time retreat the weekend of the 23rd of October. It isn't overnight but is over the Saturday and Sunday. It's always nice to have something else exciting to look forward to!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Patty. Lovely as always. And I am envious...yes I know it's a sin but I am still in the process of trying to learn how to sew like that on my machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Karen. I finally added your blog to my blog list on the right - yeah! Two about about quilting: quilt lessons. That's what I did in Ottawa for five years. I was also part of a bi-weekly quilting group and a volunteer quilt charity organization. Busy and I learned SO much! See, no need for envy;).

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much Patty. Lovely as always. And I am envious...yes I know it's a sin but I am still in the process of trying to learn how to sew like that on my machine!

    ReplyDelete