Saturday, July 2, 2016

Week of June 27 - July 1, 2016

I'm too late to add to Amy's Five on Friday today. I thought I might get the chance to catch the link party before it ended but it wasn't to be. Oh well, I'm here to write a few notes about the week anyway.

As I've mentioned before, I've been inundated with the boys double birthday party and a family reunion. This week we concentrated our efforts on the boys birthday (which was today and was a blast but I'll write about that another time). In addition to that, DH has gotten me to make a schedule for each day of the summer so that I don't get 'lost' in the days and frustrated because the boys are a handful. Truth be told, our days go much better if we have something of a schedule and that includes scheduled at home days too. This past week went like this: Monday - Discovery day holiday for us so DH was home and we had a family day, Tuesday - hike, Wednesday - Ocean Sciences Centre, Thursday - GEO Centre, Friday - Memorial Day/Canada Day holiday.

The Discovery Day holiday isn't a holiday for all employers in NL so we were lucky to have DH at home. Most of the pictures I took of this gorgeously warm day included the boys so you'll have to take my word for the fact that we had a lovely time at Duck Pond in Bauline.


Monday evening was equally gorgeous and DH suggested I go for a walk. He was only recently back from the UAE and wanted to give me a break by putting the boys to bed so I took advantage and walked from our house, down to Middle Cove beach and then took the East Coast Trail back to our house. That's about a 5 kilometre trek. You remember my pictures of our water falls and the water below our house a few cold weeks ago? This is what you find at the other end if you cross the river and keep on walking. 

Middle Cove Beach was being well enjoyed.








As we are also preparing to continue painting, DH worked steadily at preparing the next wall for painting in our seemingly endless house of walls.


Much to my delight, he put up our sets of curtains that I purchased at IKEA in the Netherlands over fifteen years ago. We finally have the house that I want to hang them in.


The weather was simply stunning on Tuesday. With a girlfriend and her daughter and daughter's friend, my boys and myself, we headed once again to the river and across it. There was hardly any wind, it was hot and the sea was the most gorgeous shades of dark blue and aquamarine.

If you click on this picture, you can see the kelp along the shore edge.
All of the children were well behaved on the hike that took us about four kilometres round trip. We walked as far as Middle Cove Beach (again for me!), took a break on the beach for the kids to paddle in the water and have a snack and then headed back home in time for lunch.


Look at the colours of that water!
Wednesday was another hot day and we headed out early to go to the Ocean Sciences Centre only a ten minute drive from our house located in Logy Bay.


The boys were fascinated by the seals but enjoyed the touch tank more. 


We were the only family there visiting. The lady told us we'd picked the perfect time of day because by afternoon it is usually crazy busy.

A Mole Snail. Slimy!!! 

We were also lucky enough to see a whale offshore there. I think it was a Minke whale because it looked smaller than a humpback to me, Eldest argues it was a Fin Whale which is larger than a humpback. We didn't have an expert in residence to confirm or deny so the jury is still out.

Later in the day, we crossed the river again and visited the tidal pools about half way between the river and the beach. It was a gorgeous spot to sit and soak my feet while the boys explored.


Thursday was supposed to rain so we were going to go to the GEO Centre. However, I was behind in my baking so we stayed around the house whilst I baked four cakes (the boys birthday cakes were four cakes high) and painted giant bobbers for their fishing theme. This idea came from Pintrest and was cheap (under $5) and easy to do.




Yesterday dawned another gorgeous day for Memorial Day morning. It is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel for the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and we decided to go downtown to watch the ceremony at the cenotaph. 


Royal Newfoundland Regiment Traditional Uniforms

HRH Princess Anne was in attendance this year and I'm enough of a royal watcher to get a thrill from that. We were only a couple of feet away from her when she was greeting the veterans. 

Click to enlarge - she's in the middle of this picture!
The middle of this one too!

And that was my big thrill for the week! Talk to you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment